Using the rubber band within containers

Put your questions here on how to do things in ProtoShare.
SidianConsulting

Using the rubber band within containers

Postby SidianConsulting » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:19 pm

Hello,

I've got several large pages with multiple form fields. I want to insert some fields in between others, but short of clicking every field and label below where I want to insert the new fields, is there a way to do this using the rubber band feature, which is basically left-clicking and dragging to "lasso" elements? The problem is the fields are in a container, and left-clicking inside the container just drags the container. The rubber band feature doesn't seem to work in this capacity.

Thanks,
Andy

Josh Kristof

Re: Using the rubber band within containers

Postby Josh Kristof » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:10 am

Andy,

There are a couple of ways to do this. First, you can start the rubber-banding outside of the container and then shift-click the container to remove it from the selection group. Secondly, you can select the components from the component listing.
Josh Kristof
customerservice@protoshare.com
Site9, Inc. / Customer Support
blog.protoshare.com | twitter.com/protoshare

SidianConsulting

Re: Using the rubber band within containers

Postby SidianConsulting » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks Josh.

I didn't think to select everything and then deselect the containers; apparently I had it in my head that that would deselect everything in the containers. This worked great.

Selecting the elements in the listing takes about the same time as selecting them one-by-one on-screen, though. I wasn't able to select an item from the listing and then shift-click to select one farther down and in turn get it to select the entire range of items in the listing. The rubber band works great though now that I know I can select outside of the area I need to grab.

Probably not something you'd make a priority but I did notice that I could shift-click inside a container and rubber-band elements without the container itself being selected. This, however, didn't select anything, but it did draw the gray box. Maybe this is something you could consider for a future version. It just seems more intuitive to me to select the items I actually want to work with.

Thanks,
Andy

Return to “How Do I...”