Speeding Up Protoshare

Put your questions here on how to do things in ProtoShare.
christopherritter

Speeding Up Protoshare

Postby christopherritter » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:56 am

I've been using Protoshare for the last few weeks and am becoming increasingly frustrated by the speed of the application in my work environment. At home, Protoshare works like a dream, but at work, I can only run it for 30 minutes before it becomes so sluggish that I need to shut the browser down. I don't know if this has to do with the high security in my office or the older laptop, but I have trouble imagining myself continuing to rely on Protoshare if this persists. Do you have any suggestions?

Josh Kristof

Re: Speeding Up Protoshare

Postby Josh Kristof » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:48 pm

Do you use a different browser at work than you do from home? We've found Chrome to be the fastest when working in ProtoShare. Proxy servers can also cause performance issues if there is a caching problem on the appliance.
Josh Kristof
customerservice@protoshare.com
Site9, Inc. / Customer Support
blog.protoshare.com | twitter.com/protoshare

christopherritter

Postby christopherritter » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:20 pm

I tried different browsers to see if it affected the performance and discovered that Chrome was the fastest at the office and at home. I'm not sure about any proxy servers although I do connect directly at home. Being that I work in a highly secure environment do you know if that would affect the performance?

Josh Kristof

Postby Josh Kristof » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:34 pm

It almost sounds like a memory leak in the browser you're using; in that as time goes by it continues to use more and more memory, without being able to release it, until the application is unusable. Are the system specs of your two systems comparable?

Are you seeing any other issues while using ProtoShare such as features not working as expected or just the slowness?
Josh Kristof
customerservice@protoshare.com
Site9, Inc. / Customer Support
blog.protoshare.com | twitter.com/protoshare

christopherritter

Postby christopherritter » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:51 pm

My work machine is a slightly older Dell laptop and at home I use a newer HP laptop. I don't know how to check for memory leaks in my Chrome browser at work although I do experience the same issue in Firefox on my work machine. As for features not working, I haven't noticed anything specifically apart from the extreme slowness of the application after 30 minutes.

AndreaF

Postby AndreaF » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:42 am

UPDATE:
We just released ProtoShare 5 (on Feb. 28, 2011).

Engineers optimized the back-end and client-side code, realizing speed gains between 70 and 200 percent. We also reduced data transmissions by about 50 percent.

ProtoShare users should notice a significant increase in application performance / responsiveness. If you have questions, or are still on version 3.9, please contact support at protoshare.com.

Return to “How Do I...”