Streamline Reviewer Experience

Like ProtoShare but want to see something else? Let us know what features you need.
Matt O

Streamline Reviewer Experience

Postby Matt O » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:42 pm

I'm fairly new to ProtoShare, so I'm open to the fact that I might just need pointers about another way to approach this, but...

A few of my reviewers are getting confused when they're invited to the site. Some of the problems are:

1. The first one is a nitpick. The invitation email displays a sender name of "welcome". When I see unspecific names like that my mind thinks "spam". I've also ran into the issue where reviewers have tried to go back to find the invitation email and, when sorting by sender, don't think to look in the Ws. It's easy to overlook if you're one of those people who scans by sender. Since the email itself mentions ProtoShare, I think it would be fine if that was also in the sender name, or use the inviter's name.

2. If I've arrived at the site with an invitation to review a specific project, it would be great if I could zoom past the project selection screen. I'm concerned about the number to steps prior to reviewing. Another nitpick: there's that + and - control next to the project name that doesn't seem to do anything. That might be a consequence of a feature of the project or capabilities offered in this mode, but it's best to hide it those cases.

3. Once I arrive at the project page, I'm looking at something that still looks very much like an editor. There are a lot of controls and panes, and my next step is a little unclear. I see a portion of what looks like the web page I expected to see, but I think most reviewers are expecting to just see a full page mockup that they can interact without scrolling around in a pane or rearranging other panes. I would probably assume that the version in that pane is a non-interactive preview. To get to that full window experience, they need to find the View Design button, which is pretty hard to spot for such an important call to action.

4. But now there's an unfortunate choice. There's the preferred (at least for my team) way of reviewing in the full screen, and there's the one that lets you see and add your own annotations, back on the main window. My preference would be a single, full screen review mode with the annotations available. The user's controls could still be presented in a thin strip above, just visually distinct enough to make it clear that it's not part of the site.

So that's my two cents. In a nutshell, the full page review is what most users are going to expect to see. It should have all of the capabilities on the one shown in the pane, and the path to that review should be short and easily followed. Overall, I'm getting some good use from the tool and am happy with the updates even in the short time I've been using it, but I've talked to enough reviewers to know that there's room for improvement there.

Thanks!

thordivel

Re: Streamline Reviewer Experience

Postby thordivel » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:06 am

I second this :) I've also been mailing links around for the video that details the reviewing process. It would be even better to have a video that would be very to the point about how to use the reviewing interface.

Matt O

Re: Streamline Reviewer Experience

Postby Matt O » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Credit where credit's due! Thanks for the enhancements to the full screen reviewing experience with 3.8!

Return to “Feature Requests”