Protoshare 8: ungrouping tabbed palettes ?

Is something not working the way you expect? Enter it here because someone else might have a similar issue.
Giu

Protoshare 8: ungrouping tabbed palettes ?

Postby Giu » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:27 am

Hello,

Another change in the v8 is the tabbed palettes in the sidebar (Components highlight, States, Template).
While I understand some users could need to compact the UI, the forced tabbed display prevents to see both States AND Components listing at the same time. Which is very useful when using lots of components, e.g. to check which ones are displayed in which state.

Is there a way for me to revert Protoshare to the previous version ?
As far as productivity goes, these tabbed palettes and the now-disabled "double-click to open Master" feature are two steps back.

Thank you,

Giu_
Giu_

Safari 5.1.7 / Mac OS 10.6.8 / Std. plan

Nick Jennings

Re: Protoshare 8: ungrouping tabbed palettes ?

Postby Nick Jennings » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi Giu,

The idea with the change to the Listing is to provide a cleaner interface. With a lot of components, states, and annotations on a given design, it can become very cluttered and hard to find what you are looking for. By separating the content, you will be able to find specific content a lot quicker without having to scroll through a large list.

While the previous version is no longer available, we are always looking to improve our interface for our customers. I will pass this along to our team through our internal feedback process.

If you have any additional feedback, please let us know.

Giu

Postby Giu » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:13 am

Hi Nick,

Thanks for you answer.

With a lot of components, states, and annotations on a given design, it can become very cluttered and hard to find what you are looking for. By separating the content, you will be able to find specific content a lot quicker without having to scroll through a large list.

I understand and agree with that. Still, there's not only one process of work in PS, and though the use case you're talking is very real, changing the UI having only that one case in mind could disadvantage others. Besides, the Expand/Collapse buttons are already a mean to solve the scrolling content you talk about, in an efficient if not always perfect way.

Furthermore, the user now has another thing to keep in mind and adapt to: the active Sidebar tab is memorized on a "global" tab (layout tab) basis, which means e.g. States stays active in my page tab even when I switch to Components outline in my Master tab.
While this choice is understandable, the user environment is still disrupted from on layout tab to another (changing the displayed "tool"), and you have to slightly adapt each time you switch page tabs.

So I'm kinda juggling with tabs all day long since the new sidebar. :?

I'm not a developer, I have no idea how difficult it would be to make the Sidebar fully customizable (e.g. the user being able to group, ungroup, and/or stack the Sidebar palettes) — I guess pretty much.

But maybe it's easier to make the tabs detachable, so one could "pop-out" and display States as a floating palette, while keeping Component outline and Template tabbed in the Sidebar?

Thank you,
Giu_

Safari 5.1.7 / Mac OS 10.6.8 / Std. plan

Nick Jennings

Postby Nick Jennings » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Hi Giu,

Still, there's not only one process of work in PS, and though the use case you're talking is very real, changing the UI having only that one case in mind could disadvantage others

That is understandable. There are many workflows that can be accomplished with ProtoShare. Changing the UI can affect those established workflows and require current users to adapt to the new changes.

We do value the feedback of our customers and this is exactly the information we seek when we do make a change. It allows our team to decide what needs to be kept the same and what needs to be changed and all the feedback we get is taken seriously. We really appreciate it.

Please let us know if you have any additional feedback or questions.

Endrio

Postby Endrio » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:55 am

You were very clear in your steps. I was able the reproduce the issue in a similar way. If I create the Master out of components on the page it will reset all states for that page. Once the Master is opened in another tab, I can switch back and forth between the tabs and the states will remain at their set values. It is only until I make an update to the Master does it reset the states on the page. If the Master is on more then one page, it will reset the states for all the pages that the Master is attached to.
FSL:

Return to “Troubleshooting & Bug Reports”